I LOVE Cinnabon’s! Over the years I have been determined to recreate this delicious confectionary. As a result, my recipe has evolved into a chocolatey cinnamon roll with a creamy caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top. This has actually become one of my family favourites. It is an easy, satisfying sweet treat that many cannot resist.
The less time anything can take to make, the better, which is why I usually buy pre-made dough. I can make my own dough but most days I just want a quick solution. Being a mom of three, this recipe needs to be pretty easy to whip up.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
For the cinnamon rolls:
- 4 pounds / 2 kg of pre-made dough (or make double of this dough recipe HERE)
- 4 Tablespoons of softened butter
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa
- 1 cup of sugar (brown/treacle)
- 1 large greased oven tray
For the creamy caramel sauce:
- 250 ml cream, split
- 1/4 cup sugar (brown/treacle)
- 30 g / 1 oz of flour (corn/wheat)
- 1 teaspoon of caramel essence (Optional)
For the chocolate sauce:
- 200 g / 7 oz slab of chocolate, like Cadbury’s
- 30 ml of full cream milk
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough into a long rectangle and spread the softened butter all over it.
- Mix the cinnamon, sugar and cocoa together and sprinkle all of it on top of the buttered rectangle dough.
- Roll up the dough length-wise so that it looks like a long, curled up sausage (almost like a really long swiss-roll)
- Slice the rolled up dough into inch-wide slices and lay them next to each other on your greased tray as you slice.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Don’t overbake to avoid drying out your rolls.
The Creamy Caramel Sauce:
- While your rolls are still baking in the oven, place 200 ml of cream, the sugar and caramel essence in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Stir frequently to dissolve the sugar and to avoid the cream from getting burnt at the bottom.
- In a jar, shake up together the flour and 50 ml of cream plus a little milk if needed.
- When the cream and sugar in the saucepan has come to the boil, add the flour and cream mixture while stirring quickly. It is best to use a whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
The Chocolate Sauce:
- Break the slab of chocolate into pieces and melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or in a mug in the microwave. If using the microwave, put it in for 1 minute, stir and then another minute in the microwave and stir again. Your chocolate should be melted, if not, let it sit in the warm mug a bit and stir a little more.
- Add the milk little by little to the melted chocolate. If you add all the milk at once and the milk is cold, it will harden the chocolate. Microwave it again for 30 seconds or until melted and smooth. Be careful not to leave it in the microwave too long as the chocolate could get burnt.
Put It All Together!
- Now the fun part and final step: Drizzle your creamy caramel sauce and then your chocolate sauce on top of your hot rolls that just came out the oven. You could drizzle the sauces crossways to each other to make a nice effect.
This recipe makes about 30 rolls and they keep for about 2-3 days only. These rolls are delicious served with ice cream, hot chocolate or just as they are. They always wow my guests and family. Enjoy!
Comment below about how your rolls came out or any other delicious variations!
One thought on “Creamy Caramel & Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls”